How to Identify Signs of Periodontal Disease
Frequently called periodontal disease, gum disease is an infection of the tissues that keep your teeth in the right place. This condition is caused by improper oral health, allowing tartar to build up and solidify. When it's not addressed, it might result in serious issues for the gum and bone tissues that keep the teeth in place. Gum disease is also one of the primary causes of loose teeth in people in Friendswood, TX. At Made Ya Smile Friendswood, TX, we perform noninvasive and surgical treatment options for our patients experiencing any degree of periodontal disease.
Signs of gum disease
Periodontal disease can oftentimes be silent, so it’s hard to realize if you have it. This means that regular check-ups and professional cleanings are a crucial step in detecting gum disease before it can worsen. Some popularly reported signs of gum disease are:
- Missing or separating teeth
- Bad breath
- Gumline recession
- Bite changes
- Discharge between the gumline and teeth
- Seeing blood as you brush and floss
- Swollen, red, or tender gums
For those who reside in Friendswood, TX and suspect they could have gum disease, our skilled team will help you address it before it worsens to more significant phases.
Degrees of periodontal disease
This illness can develop into one of three phases:
- Gingivitis: Gingivitis, the beginning phase of periodontal disease, is caused by a buildup of plaque, impacting just the gum tissues. By this time, the bone has not been attacked, so gum disease is still curable.
- Periodontitis: In this phase, any damage to the gums and bone that lock your teeth in their ideal positions is irreversible. Dental pockets can also form underneath the gumline, trapping tartar and bacteria. Periodontal maintenance treatments in conjunction with effective oral health habits will help minimize the chances of further concerns.
- Advanced periodontitis: The final phase of gum disease occurs when the disease has caused harmful bacteria. This phase requires laser treatments or periodontal surgery to clean pockets of bacteria beneath the gumline. In the event that advanced periodontitis is not addressed, wiggling or missing teeth, weakening gum tissues, and other serious problems will occur.
In short, treating periodontal disease immediately is vital. At Made Ya Smile Friendswood, TX, we teach our patients proper oral hygiene techniques to let them stall the development of this serious oral wellness issue.
Gum disease treatments
The treatment chosen for you will be decided by the severity of your gum disease. Treating gum disease promptly works to reduce damage, as well as any need for surgical intervention. The aim of any gum treatment is to restore the health of your gum tissues. Some of the most typical gum procedures provided at our Friendswood, TX facility consist of:
- Scaling and root planing: Scaling and root planing is the least invasive option that removes tartar around the gumline and produces a smoother tooth surface. Smoothing rough areas lets our talented team get rid of bacteria and generate a smooth surface for the gum tissues to reattach successfully.
- Gum lift: For this treatment, the gumline is lifted back so tartar can be effectively accessed. The gumline is then positioned so the tissue fits snugly around every tooth. This will reduce the open area between the gums and teeth, deterring bacteria from developing again.
- Bone and gum grafting: Gum tissue and jawbone grafts incorporate a portion of the patient’s own bone or donor bone to replace bone that was destroyed by gum disease. This will let the teeth be more stable. Soft tissue grafts are performed to reestablish weak gums, as well as to target places where periodontal deterioration has occurred.
- Crowns, bridges, or dentures: If tooth loss occurs, we perform a variety of restorative dentistry treatments, including crowns and implants, to enhance the health of your smile.
Learn more about periodontal disease solutions in Friendswood, TX
In the event that it's left untreated, periodontal disease will turn into more dangerous phases. At Made Ya Smile Friendswood, TX, our staff works with our patients to help them enhance their oral health. To learn more information on gum disease procedures, or to set up an evaluation at our professional office, give us a call.